Platelet-Rich Plasma or PRP facials have made people interested in improving their skin’s appearance, having no shortage of facial treatments from which they can choose. When you follow celebrities on social media platforms like Instagram, you may have seen something about a platelet-rich plasma facial or the PRP facials. This type of facial treatment uses platelet-rich plasma, or PRP, drawn from your blood then applied to your face.
If you imagine it, covering your entire face with your blood may seem a bit extreme for rejuvenating the skin. However, platelet-rich plasma facials, or PRP facials, may result in some dermatological benefits, such as helping smooth the skin and minimizing wrinkles and scars’ appearance towards a more youthful look. Many people can safely undergo a platelet-rich plasma facial. But it is utterly important to understand first the benefits and risks before making an informed decision. Here’s everything you must know about PRP facials.
What are PRP Facials?
PRP facials involve the application of a patient’s blood sample to the face, typically right after micro-needling or microdermabrasion. But instead of applying the blood right away, medical professionals who perform this procedure first isolate plasma and platelets rich in protein from the sample to create the so-called PRP.
While PRP facials have become a popular, topical treatment nowadays, medical professionals have already begun using PRP injections in treating injured joints even years ago. This procedure is believed to help in the acceleration of the body’s natural growth and healing processes. Aside from a facial, you may also elect to have PRP treatments on your other body parts affected by undesirable scars or unwanted stretch marks.
How Do PRP Facials Work?
The Presence of growth factors in PRP work together with micro-needling or microdermabrasion in stimulating collagen production. Collagen is a major protein known to compose the body’s connective tissues. Encouraging the body’s natural production of collagen and the generation of healthy skin cells, PRP has been shown to improve the skin’s tone and texture, along with fine lines. However, more research is still essential.
Most providers now have PRP facials in their list of services. In general, a typical treatment will usually be composed of three major steps:
- Preparation: Provider first isolate PRP from your blood before the actual facial begins. With the help of a needle, a small amount of blood is drawn from your arm. Then, the blood sample is spun inside a centrifuge, helping the separation of the platelet-rich plasma from the rest of the blood. When micro-needling or microdermabrasion is included, providers will also apply topical anesthetics during this time.
- Microneedling: After the anesthetic takes effect, your provider will now use special rollers or a device to prick your skin. This step stimulates collagen production, creating small punctures that allow the PRP to penetrate deep into the skin.
- Application: Finally, your provider will apply the concentrated PRP to the treated area, massaging it deep into the skin.
You may be required to have multiple treatments before eventually seeing the effects of a PRP facial. It may take a few weeks before visible results start to appear.
How Long is the Recovery Time for PRP Facials?
Immediately right after your PRP facial, you may already experience slight redness and irritation. This symptom usually disappears after four to six days. The majority feel well enough to drive themselves home after their procedure, resuming normal activities the following day. To ensure your smooth recovery, providers may require you to temporarily avoid using makeup and harsh skin treatments in the meantime. Protect your skin also by wearing sunscreen and avoiding excessive exposure to the sun during this recovery time.
Benefits of PRP Facials
PRP facials involve the reinjection of your platelet-rich plasma to your skin and deliver abundant growth factors to stimulate your body’s natural healing response. This step helps you to achieve total rejuvenation efficiently.
Now, here are five benefits you can have from this facial:
1. Total Rejuvenation
PRP facials stimulate the production of collagen and elastin that thickens and tightens thinning skin that effectively smoothens unwanted wrinkles and fine lines. Since it boosts collagen, it’s also great for the improvement of overall skin texture and tone. This procedure particularly works best for those who suffer from rosacea or acne.
2. Treatment of Delicate and Difficult-to-Reach Areas
PRP facials are extremely effective for treating hard-to-reach and difficult-to-treat areas like the delicate portions under the eyes where most clients often see signs of aging first but where lasers cannot be used.
3. Natural Type of Cosmetic Injectable
PRP facials use your natural elements without adding any foreign products. This treatment works using a small sample of your blood draw, which is then spun inside a centrifuge for roughly around five minutes, separating the plasma from the other blood particles. This platelet-rich plasma is then reintroduced back into the treatment area through reinjection that stimulates collagen and elastin production.
4. Very Safe
Since it utilizes your natural elements, and is very much safe. It is also not something new of treatment because it has long been recognized and used in the hospital system and sports medicine because of its effective properties for wound healing since the 1970s.
5. Long-Lasting Results
Results from PRP facials usually take between three to four weeks before appearing but are considered long-lasting. These results typically last for 12 to 18 months after the initial series of three consecutive treatments.
Risks and Side Effects of PRP Facials
- More serious problems like scarring, infection, and excessive bleeding might occur involving the blood drawing and skin puncturing.
- Do not get PRP facials if you have a history of blood clotting disorders, bleeding disorders, or other blood diseases.
- Failure to use proper needle storage, handling, and disposal procedures might result in catastrophe. All pieces of equipment used must be sterile — otherwise, the risk of contracting severe blood-borne illnesses like HIV, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C is very high.
- Risks of blood-borne illnesses also mean PRP facials should NEVER use the blood of someone else’s.
- Temporary redness
These side effects of PRP facials can only be limited if performed by a qualified and experienced medical professional.
Final Thoughts on PRP Facials
PRP facials can be very beneficial, especially when done properly by a professional. Always remember to give extra time and effort in doing research first before undergoing any kind of procedure. If so, then PRP facials might be the beautification option you have been looking for all this time.
Did this article tickle your fancy about PRP facials? Do you want to know more? Don’t worry! Our great friends from ZI BLOOM Aesthetics got you covered! Visit them today! https://www.zibloom.com/