Anti-wrinkle Injections and Botox are no different since Botox is a brand name that falls under the broader category. In fact, the scientific name for anti-wrinkle injectables is Botulinum toxin, a substance used in anti-wrinkle treatments worldwide. The anti-wrinkle injections relax the facial muscles and prevent the skin from creasing and causing wrinkles.
In particular, there are two types of wrinkles on the face in which anti-wrinkle injections help to relax, and they are called static and dynamic wrinkles. By inhibiting nerve signals to the specific facial muscle, these injections stop its ability to contract so that creases and wrinkles fade over a relatively short period, producing a refreshed look.
Not only can anti-wrinkle injections help improve the appearance of frown lines, crows feet, forehead lines, drooping corners of the mouth and neck bands, but this treatment can also help with facial slimming and a gummy smile, as well as provide relief for medical conditions like teeth grinding (bruxism), migraines, and excessive sweating (scalp, forehead, underarms, hands, and feet).
What Are The Different Types Of Anti-Wrinkle Injections?
As beauty trends change, misinformation and new technology make it challenging to know what is what and which products will work for every person. The good news is that one can enjoy improvements to signs of facial aging from different anti-wrinkle treatment options, such as:
In 2002, Botox became an FDA-approved wrinkle treatment method that is safe and effective. This non-surgical procedure can treat wrinkles on the forehead, fine lines under the eyes, smile lines, and crow’s feet.
Typically, it takes three days to begin seeing the results of anti-wrinkle injections, with the full treatment effect visible after about ten days. Results can last three to six months; however, individual responses to treatment may vary.
It was approved by the FDA in 2009 and is a safe and effective method of eliminating unwanted frown lines and forehead wrinkles. The procedure will vary according to the location and size of the treatment area but typically lasts no longer than 15 minutes. To experience Dysport’s maximum result, most patients require repeat treatments every 4 months, but, in some cases, the results from this treatment can last up to 6-12 months.
In 2011, Xeomin was one of the newest FDA-approved anti-wrinkle treatments that didn’t contain any protein additives like Botox or Dysport. It is more effective for patients who have developed resistance to other neurotoxins. The procedure is quick and minimally invasive, usually lasting between 10-15 minutes, depending on the treatment area.
Typically, the longevity of results will vary from patient to patient, producing results that last 2-3 months.
These are often made from hyaluronic acid injected under the skin with a fine needle to smooth skin and wrinkles. In fact, Hyaluronic acid is naturally found in the skin and is commonly used in many anti-aging skincare products. Since it helps retain moisture, hyaluronic acid rejuvenates the skin and can make a face look more plump and hydrated, thus softening the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
The results of dermal filler treatments can be seen almost immediately after treatment and last between 6 to 18 months.
What Are The Areas Can Anti-Wrinkle Injections Address?
While some anti-wrinkle injections work when targeting almost anywhere on the body, they are most effective when treating the face. The following are some of the key target areas for anti-wrinkle injection:
- Forehead. The forehead is one of the most popular facial areas that patients choose to treat with muscle relaxing anti-wrinkle injections. This is because the forehead is one of the first areas where signs of aging become noticeable, with frown lines or ‘expression lines’ taking effect.
- Cheeks. Hollow cheeks and lax skin are another common area that gives us an aged appearance. The right anti-wrinkle injection can lift and add volume to these target areas while filling out any loose and sagging skin.
- Around the eyes. The eyes are notorious for being one of the most challenging areas of the face to treat for wrinkles. This is why much care and consideration must be taken when trying to alleviate crow’s feet.
- Lips. The thinning of the lips is a natural process of aging, which many would prefer to put off for as long as possible.
- Around the mouth. For cosmetic issues like nasolabial folds and smoker lines, various injectables can help smooth out the lines and give the mouth a more youthful and rejuvenated aesthetic.
Who Are Good Candidates For Anti-Wrinkle Treatments?
In general, anti-wrinkle injections are safe for all skin types and colors and work best for patients in good health and with realistic expectations of the aesthetic outcome. On the other hand, the following should not receive the treatment if:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Allergic to any ingredient in any botulinum toxin
- Having a neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord, also known as ALS or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
- Having skin infection at the planned treatment site
Are Anti-Wrinkles Injections Safe?
As Botox is classified as prescription medicine, it can and should only be administered by a qualified medical practitioner following a consultation. It is the practitioner’s responsibility to ensure it is safe for the patient or client to receive treatment.
It is crucial when considering any aesthetic treatment, such as anti-wrinkle injections, that one factor in:
- the primary function of the clinic or business going to as medical clinics are more strictly regulated
- a clinics availability so in the unlikely event there are any side effects or issues that help is at hand
- With the clinic’s training and history of success, any good practitioner will be more than willing to discuss more details with the patient.
The Bottom Line
Anti-wrinkle injections are often used to relax muscles of the face, helping to reduce or completely eliminate wrinkles, particularly those that occur due to facial expressions. ZI Bloom offers Anti-Wrinkle Injections using Dysport and Xeomin neuromodulators to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Their injector will strategically choose each specifically for the patient, according to the muscle mass and strength in the area of concern.